Sunday, February 28, 2016

Spending Summer 2016 in the Mountians

   Growing up, my dad, aunts, and a couple cousins would tell me of their summers at YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly in Black Mountains, NC.  They would spend their summers in college working at Blue Ridge, and they still say to this day that it was the best times of their lives.  Blue Ridge has a summer program aimed at college students, and for the last couple years I have been thinking about how I would love to experience this for myself.  Well my time has come! This past December I applied for a position at Blue Ridge.  I was lucky enough that they contacted me and asked to set up a phone interview.  We talked about why I wanted the job and how my family had influenced me and told me how wonderful it was.  The man who interviewed me was very excited to hear how I had other family members work there and that I had actually been to Blue Ridge.  After a long interview, I was offered a job working for Conference Services.  Needless to say, I was over the moon excited to be given this opportunity.  I have wanted to apply for such a long time now, and not only was I able to apply but I was offered a job.
   My family is so excited and supportive, which is all I could ever ask for.  I know being far away from them will be a new struggle for all of us, but I am positive that the excitement and joy that will come from this experience will help us get through.  For you see, this job will require me to live in North Carolina for two months this summer.  I will only be coming home for about three or four days for my dad's ordination to become a Deacon.  Yes, I am nervous to not be near family for the first time, but the excitement is so overpowering that I am not yet worried about being homesick.  I will be living in the mountains, meeting kids my age from all over the country and the world (along with others), and gaining new work experiences. 
   This week it has all become so real for me.  I received an email finalizing the details about my travel and work being done when I am out there.  I will leave a link to their website to help those who want to, to look into where I will be this summer.  My goal is to go into this with an open mind and come out of it with great experiences, friends, and memories.  I am so excited to be spending my summer in the mountains.    

<https://www.blueridgeassembly.org/>

No comments:

Post a Comment